Have you thought recently…
- “I wish I were more like…”
- “How come that person gets ________ but I get _______?”
- “Why didn’t God give me ________ like so-and-so?”
- “I feel stuck when I see others in a better place than me.”
- “I wish I could have the opportunity to _______ like so-and-so.”
- The list goes on.
How did I think of these phrases? Because I have thought these phrases as well! It’s easy to compare myself to others and long for something that feels lacking in my life, especially when I see others are more effective, get better opportunities, or are in just a better place than me.
Our Asian background often compares. Part of the cultural heritage is parents “inspiring” their kids by pointing out how their peers are doing better. I am thankful that my parents tried not to do that but I still picked up the habit of internal comparison because it’s found in every culture and it’s also human nature.